How To Get Into Duke University’s
Fuqua School of Business
Not surprisingly, Duke’s Fuqua School of Business is asking for the same 25 random things again this year. Having read this essay for more than a handful of years, I have seen a broad range of responses, some terrible, some brilliant.
Through this ‘essay’ Fuqua wants to get to know who YOU are as a person so they can determine whether you are a fit with the Team Fuqua culture and have what it takes to develop into a Leader of Consequence.
A few DON’Ts. Trust me here. I’ve seen it and the outcome was NOT positive.
• One word answers. Seriously, I read an ‘essay’ that was all of 25 lines long with one word on each line. The first few were son, brother, father. I stopped reading at that point and gave the file a fast pass to the ding pile.
• Cookie cutter responses. For a few years, I was convinced that there was a template that candidates were using to create their lists. In the end, ALL of them pretty much looked the same. Likely none were admitted. The lists went something like this:
1. My name, when translated to English, means strength (or whatever it means).
2. My favorite character on Friends is Monica (pick your favorite character).
3. I have watched XXX of the IMBD top 250 movies.
4. Roger Federer is my favorite tennis player. (It was ALWAYS Roger!)
5. I have traveled to YY countries; my goal is to get to 30 countries before I turn 30.
I had learned nothing about an applicant from reading these ‘random’ things.
• Rehash your resume. It seems obvious that something on your resume (like where you went to college) is NOT random. That said, there were some applicants who spent at least half of their 25 random things on something I already knew from reading their resume.
• Share TMI. There are some topics and personal experiences that are inappropriate to share in your MBA application. If you aren’t self-aware enough to realize this, you likely won’t be offered a seat at Fuqua.
Use your random things to present yourself as someone that the admissions committee can see contributing to the Fuqua community during the MBA program and beyond. Are you someone they would want to engage with at Fuqua Fridays? Can they picture you working on a group project during your first year? What leadership role might they envision you in? If your classmates were to honor you with an award for demonstrating Team Fuqua principles, which would it be? Supportive Ambition? Collective Diversity? Uncompromising Integrity?
DO’s to catch the eye (and the heart) of admissions committee
• Make them laugh. Real, live human beings are reading your application. If you can touch a funny bone, they will be more likely to remember you. For example,
1. I’m not a morning person. To make sure I get up, I put my phone on the other side of my bedroom and set my alarm with the most annoying song. Right now it’s Gangnam Style. (from 2012-13 admissions season)
• Share the why, so what or lessons learned. While it is great to share that your favorite book is The Catcher in the Rye, go deeper and explain why. Perhaps you had a similar experience during your teen years or early twenties.
• Connect with Fuqua/Duke/Durham. Tie something random about yourself with something specific about Fuqua. If you played bass in a garage band in high school perhaps you look forward to connecting with musically inclined classmates to put a band together for Fuqua Idol.
• Show you are a team player. While the focus of the random things is YOU, look for opportunities to demonstrate that you support and work well with others. Use specific examples to SHOW rather than TELL that you will be a contributing member of the Fuqua community.
Use the 25 random things to share your genuine and authentic self. I remember making note on at least one application, ‘I laughed. I cried. It was better than Cats.’ I would stand up and fight to admit the applicants who really ‘got’ Fuqua and demonstrated as much through their random things.
Stratus Admissions Counseling is a full service admissions counseling firm distinguished by its team based, multi-step process ensuring each application is crafted for optimum impact. Our MBA counseling team has a representative from virtually every top 20 MBA program, enabling us to provide school-specific guidance.
Sign up for a FREE consultation with a business school admissions specialist.
At Stratus, we know your time is valuable. You may be asking “why should I spend 30 minutes of my time speaking to an expert strategist?” The answer is this: we make it all about YOU. Your goals. Your profile. Your experience. This is an opportunity for us to explore your background and start to help you cultivate a plan of action for your future.
Use the form below to sign up today and a Stratus Admissions Specialist will contact you right away.
Topics: MBA Admissions Insights, MBA Application Tips, School Specific Articles | Tags: Fuqua School of Business
Tag: 25 Random Things
Tips on Writing Your ’25 Things’ Essay
Claire Garst -
If you’ve taken a look at an application for any of the programs we offer at Duke’s Fuqua School of Business, then a unique essay prompt has likely caught your eye—“25 Random Things About Yourself.”... Read More
Master of Management Studies Application: 3 Key Changes
Allison Jamison -
I have been in Admissions at Fuqua for almost 10 years, and I have to say that each new application year is always exciting. Who will I meet through the application process this year? What... Read More
The 26th Interesting Fact
Iosif Papathanasiou -
It’s time for new student admissions here at the MMS: FOB and MMS: DKU programs. With prospective students gearing up to do their best in writing the essays, I’m here to give you a useful... Read More
My 25 Interesting Facts
Danya Akbar -
A recent trend in MBA applications has been to ask questions that allow schools to get a sense of the applicant beyond the application itself. Fuqua specifically prides itself in valuing characteristics that go beyond... Read More
25 Random Things: Are You the Next Piece of the Puzzle?
Tim Patron -
In my last post, I talked about Team Fuqua. Team Fuqua is what it is because of its people. Each person admitted into one of the MMS programs is an irreplaceable piece of the Team... Read More
My 25 Random Things
Brandon Benzin -
Recently, Fuqua’s Admissions team instituted a question in the application that asks for 25 random things about applicants. From quirks and passions to hopes and fears, be yourself and let your personality shine through when... Read More
Be Yourself When Responding to New Application Essay
Cathy Johnson -
As many of you have now noticed, we’ve changed our MMS application essays a bit! We found that our essay questions did not allow you to really show us who you are, and quite often... Read More